Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon Youth running program
"I Can 26.2 It!"
(one mile at a time!)
In an effort to promote the importance of being active to the youth, the Badgerland Striders with support from Girls on the Run and the Milwaukee Police Department Endurance Club are proud to present an opportunity for kids heading into grades 3-8. This 10-week program will encourage kids to commit to a weekly mileage running plan in an effort to complete 25 miles leading up to a final 1.2 mile run with ALL the LFM Kids Run participants and crossing the official Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon finish banner to the cheers and applause of family, friends, coaches and community supporters.
Each participant will receive:
· a training shirt that says, "I Can 26.2 It!"
· a LFM route map with mile markers that can be filled in as you complete each mile toward your 26.2 end goal
· weekly motivational emails with encouragement and inspiration
· a mileage plan to assist with keeping a steady mileage towards the end goal
· two large group "training fun runs" will be offered during the program and Girls on the Run or the Milwaukee Police Department Endurance Club will not only offer tips on running but will also speak about such topics as: esteem, respect, discipline and goal-setting.
Parents/Guardians will play a vital role in the participants success and we encourage the parents to not only "sign off" on confirming the child’s progress but to become a local "coach" to your child’s friends, neighbors and acquaintances. This program and final run is NOT intended to be a race and is being made available to encourage all youth to stay active through the sport of running.
The Training Program is only $10 and starts July 29th. Sign up today or e-mail Race Director with any questions. A VERY special thanks to the Girls on the Run of Greater Milwaukee and the Milwaukee Police Department Endurance Club organizations for their support and coordination efforts.