If you have participated in triathlon (or duathlon), you may have noticed that in a lot of cases there is a $10 fee for the triathlon registration if you are not a¬ member of USAT.
While at first you may want to “grunt” about the added fee, here’s some information I found on the¬ USA Triathon¬†website that will¬†help you understand why being a USAT Sanctioned Event and/or a USAT member is quite valuable
For Multisport Race Directors
By sanctioning your event with USAT, you get:
- Affordable, comprehensive insurance program to protect the race director,¬†event volunteers, athletes¬†and sponsors.
- Inclusion in the USA Triathlon National Ranking System, which ranks athletes across the nation.
- Access to professional USA Triathlon Officials who are trained to ensure that each sanctioned event is safe and fair for¬†competitors.
- Access to great sponsor programs and benefits.
- Participants will recognize¬†the event as a fair race and credible race.
- Outstanding¬†exposure¬†through the¬ USAT Event Calendar.
For Multisport Athletes
By becoming a USAT Member, you get:
- Subscription to the quarterly USA Triathlon publication USA Triathlon Life.
- Savings at USA Triathlon sanctioned events by no longer having to purchase one-day licenses.
- Secondary Medical/Accident Insurance: Covers USAT sanctioned activities (contact USAT National Office for policy specifics.)
- Discounts and special promotions from USA Triathlon partners.
- Eligibility to qualify as a Team USA Triathlon/Duathlon member and compete at ITU World Championship events.
- Eligibility to compete at USA Triathlon National Championships.
- E-newsletters to keep you informed.
The biggest follow-up question I get when answering calls about why there is a $10 fee is “Well, then how much are the memberships?”¬† Currently, adult memberships are $39 for one-year and youth memberships are $5.¬† So for adults, as soon as you register for 4 sanctioned triathlons in one year, your membership paid for itself.
Contact Kris¬†at¬ email@example.com¬†if you have questions about USAT Sanctioning or Memberships